Useful Solaris 11 Posts and Documents You Should Read
Well, Solaris 11 is now out there and I'm sure people are eager to get tinkering with the new functionality.
To help you, I'll be collecting links to some useful documents and blog posts I've found and add them to this post over the next week.
Official Oracle Links and Documents
- Just in case you haven't got your hands on a copy yet...
Oracle Solaris 11 Downloads
- Oracle Solaris 11 Product Documentation
- Oracle Solaris 11 - Resources - this page includes links to data sheets, FAQs and several white papers.
- Oracle Solaris 11 Information Library
- Oracle Solaris 11 Package Management with IPS - the official (and huge) source of information about IPS, which also includes a link to...
- The IPS Developer Guide (PDF)
- Oracle Solaris 11 How to Articles - some really useful docs in here. I'm not going to list them all, but here are a few notable ones...
- Taking Your First Steps with Oracle Solaris 11 - good run through for someone who's never touched Solaris 11 or Solaris 11 Express.
- How to Perform System Archival and Recovery Procedures with Oracle Solaris 11
- How to Get Started Creating Oracle Solaris Zones in Oracle Solaris 11
- How to Script Oracle Solaris 11 Zones Creation for a Network-In-a-Box Configuration - taking zone creation to the next level with an emphasis on the networking side of things.
- Introducing the Basics of Image Packaging System (IPS) on Oracle Solaris 11 - wooohooo!!! No more patching. IPS integrates beautifully with boot environments and ZFS allowing for quick easy rollbacks if things go wrong. It happens automatically too.
- Oracle Solaris 11 Product Information Center - this is actually a knowledge document on My Oracle Support that will grow and evolve as more documentation and alerts about Solaris 11 come to light.
Third Party Articles and Blog Posts
Most of these are from Oracle employees who have been actively involved in the development of Solaris 11 and most of the documentation linked above. This is the section I anticipate will grow over the coming week.
- The most inviting Solaris 11 features - Part I, Boot Environments - probably one of the best features of Solaris 11. Start getting into the habit of creating a new BE or snapshot BEFORE you make any system changes. It's cheap, quick and oh so easy to revert if things go wrong.
- A Quick Tour Of Oracle Solaris 11 (Added: 14 Nov)
- What's new on the Solaris 11 Desktop? (Added: 14 Nov)
- S11 X11: ye olde window system in today's new operating system (Added: 14 Nov)
- Accessible Oracle Solaris 11 - released! (Added: 14 Nov)
- Nagging As A Strategy For Better Linking: -z guidance (Added: 14 Nov)
- Much Ado About Nothing: Stub Objects (Added: 14 Nov)
- Using Stub Objects (Added: 14 Nov)
- The Stub Proto: Not Just For Stub Objects Anymore (Added: 14 Nov)
- elffile: ELF Specific File Identification Utility (Added: 14 Nov)
- The IPS System Repository
IPS Self-assembly – Part 1: overlays
- Self assembly – Part 2: multiple packages delivering configuration
- Replacing the Application Packaging Developer’s guide (Added: 14 Nov)
SMF & FMA
- Introducing SMF Layers (Added: 11 Nov)
- Oracle Solaris 11: New Fault Management Features - very interesting developments here. Now you can easily identify disks, email FMA events, FMA events for kernel panics and SMF service issues are also no reported by FMA. (Added: 11 Nov)
- User home directory encryption with ZFS
- Password (PAM) caching for Solaris su - "a la sudo"
- Completely disabling root logins on Solaris 11
- Exciting Crypto Advances with the T4 processor and Oracle Solaris 11 (Added: 14 Nov)
- SPARC T4 OpenSSL Engine (Added: 14 Nov)
- Solaris X86 AESNI OpenSSL Engine (Added: 14 Nov)
- OpenSSL Versions in Solaris (Added: 17 Nov)
- Immutable Zones on Encrypted ZFS - not just an immutable (read-only) zone, but one that takes advantage of ZFS encryption.
- Solaris 11 DTrace syscall Provider Changes (Added: 14 Nov)
- Solaris 11 hostmodel (Added: 14 Nov)
- Network Configuration in Solaris 11 with NWAM Profiles (Added: 17 Nov)
- Exploring TCP throughput with DTrace (Added: 17 Nov)